June 22, 2014

Getting Learner Driver's License # Surname (Second Name) Ado


Here is my story of getting a learner driver's license.

Getting a driver's license was no easy after getting surname thing sorted out in visa. USA has a different system / database for visa and other identity documents (USCIS and Homeland security). That means even if I sorted out the surname issue with immigration, DMV still doesn't recognize FNU & LNU.

Jun, 2013
When I went to DMV office for a learner driver's license, officials were a lot confused with my name because they found out different names on my visa and passport (Passport didn't had surname unlike visa). After discussing amongst them for a while, they allowed me to go through the written test which was required to get a learner driver license. And i did cleared the test and got the learner license on spot (duplicate copy). And received the original one after 2 weeks.
But my name was interchanged now, 1st name became last name and vice versa. Neither did I nor the DMV officials noticed that the name was wrong again, mismatched with what was on the visa.
This is because, when I looked at my license I saw FNU XXXX (my name) and it seemed fine too me but actually DL represented name as LAST NAME, FIRST NAME. That meant it was interchanged.
But I was good to go with that and never faced any further trouble because of that as no one noticed that. I am surprised now, how could they miss that and make such a mistake?

No comments:

Post a Comment